Venues for Care
Children with TB disease receive care at all the BIPAI Centers of Excellence in Sub-Saharan Africa and Romania. Children in Houston, Texas, receive care at the Children’s TB Clinic at Texas Children’s Hospital.
The Children’s Tuberculosis (TB) Clinic at Texas Children’s Hospital
Para informes sobre tuberculosis en español, favor de oprimir aqui: Informes Sobre la Clinica de Tuberculosis.
The Children’s TB Clinic was established over 25 years ago and is the largest pediatric tuberculosis clinic in the US. It is staffed by Drs. Jeffrey Starke and Andrea Cruz, Anna Mandalakas and Lydia Ong, PA-C.
- Placement and interpretation of tuberculin skin tests (PPDs)
- Obtaining and interpreting interferon gamma release assays (IGRAs)
- Chest radiographs (x-rays) and other radiographic studies, as needed
- Laboratory services
- Coordination with other consulting services
- Admission to Texas Children’s Hospital, if necessary
Location and times: The clinic is located on the 16th floor of the Clinical Care Center (CCC) of Texas Children’s Hospital (6701 Fannin Street, Houston, Texas 77030; this is on the corner of Fannin Street and Holcombe Boulevard). The clinic meets Tuesday and Friday mornings. The first appointment is at 8:00 AM, and the last appointment is at 10:00 AM.
Parking: Parking is available at several Texas Medical Center parking garages.
Referrals: Referrals to TB Clinic occur several ways. We accept referrals from community physicians, health departments, and children hospitalized with suspected tuberculosis.
- Referrals from community physicians: Physicians can call Texas Children’s Hospital Central Scheduling at (832) 822-2778. They will be connected with the Infectious Disease office and be asked to complete a form (Download Form) providing additional clinical information. Children need not have chest radiographs prior to arrival in TB clinic; we can obtain these at the time of the initial visit. However, if a child has already had a chest radiograph, it is helpful if the copies of this film can be given to the family to bring to their appointment.
- Referrals for children hospitalized with suspected tuberculosis disease: Physicians can call Texas Children’s Hospital Central Scheduling at (832) 822-2778. They will be connected with the Infectious Disease office and be asked to complete a form (Download Form) providing additional clinical information, diagnostic test results, and medication dosing. We prefer that children have an appointment scheduled prior to hospital discharge, to prevent barriers to care. Please send the following forms to the health department corresponding to the child prior to the child’s discharge: